The Latest: Atlanta Falcons send out ticketing plan to fans

first_img July 22, 2020 The Atlanta Falcons have told season ticket holders that the team plans to have as many as 10,000 to 20,000 fans at home games this season.The Falcons said in Wednesday’s email the reduced capacity meets local requirements as well as the social distancing guidelines set by the NFL and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.Season ticket holders who are current on their payments will be asked to rank the first four home games they’d like to attend, if any.The team says plans could be affected by changes in the coronavirus pandemic. Barring changes, the team plans to send a second survey in October for the final four home games.All fans must wear face masks. Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Tulane says the COVID-19 pandemic has caused the cancellation of college basketball game scheduled in China this November. Basel is the third of the 10 Swiss clubs to have at least one player test positive since the league restarted last month.Basel will finish its season and then resume in the Europa League on Aug. 6. The club will then play in the Swiss Cup semifinals.___The International Tennis Federation plans to resume its lower-level World Tennis Tour the week of Aug. 17 and its junior and beach tennis tours two weeks later when the U.S. Open is scheduled to begin.All ITF tours have been suspended since March because of the coronavirus pandemic. Westbrook, who wore a mask as he spoke to the media despite being inside the NBA bubble, urged people not take the coronavirus lightly and to wear a mask.“I’m not a doctor nor a specialist, but I do know that it’s definitely something to take very seriously,” he said. “To understand that wearing a mask can be between life or death honestly … there are people dying from this virus each and every day and it’s something that we all need to take very, very seriously.”___Swiss soccer club Basel says one of its players has tested positive for the coronavirus but its league game against St. Gallen will go ahead.Basel says the unidentified player has been in isolation on the advice of public health officials. The rest of the squad tested negative and will not go into quarantine. ___Kansas City Royals outfielder Hunter Dozier has tested positive for COVID-19 and been placed on the injured list before the club played its final exhibition game against the Cardinals in St. Louis.The 28-year-old is coming off a breakthrough season in which he hit 26 homers with 84 RBIs and tying for the American League lead in triples. He is expected to play a big role for the Royals during their abbreviated 60-game season, which begins against the Indians on Friday night in Cleveland.Dozier said in a statement that he had been feeling “a couple of symptoms that go with the virus” and is now following the medical team’s direction by quarantining. He will need to test negative twice before returning to the club.The Royals still have catcher Cam Gallagher, first baseman Ryan O’Hearn, catching prospect Nick Dini and relief pitcher Daniel Tillo on the injured list with COVID-19. All-Star catcher Salvador Pérez, starters Brad Keller and Jakob Junis, and third baseman Matt Reynolds tested positive but have been cleared to return. ___Houston Rockets star Russell Westbrook is set to practice with the team for the first time since revealing that he tested positive for the coronavirus.Westbrook did not travel with the Rockets on July 9 when they flew to Florida for the NBA’s restart. The nine-time All-Star revealed on social media that he had tested positive for the virus on July 14 and he did not arrive in Florida until Monday.Westbrook had to quarantine upon his arrival at Disney but was cleared to join the Rockets for their practice on Wednesday.He said his only symptom was a stuffy nose and that he’s feeling great now and ready to get to work with the Rockets, who open the season July 31 against Dallas. Former Chelsea player Dan Petrescu has tested positive for the coronavirus and has been taken to the hospital.He will remain hospitalized for at least 48 hours.Petrescu currently coaches Romanian club CFR Cluj. Fourteen staff members and players at the club have tested positive in recent days. Three of those have since tested negative but will remain under observation.Clubs are considering suspending the Romanian league as the country registers a growing number of virus infections. There were 1,030 new cases in the last 24 hours. That is the highest amount since the pandemic reached Romania in February.Petrescu played at Chelsea for five years from 1995-2000. The Latest: Atlanta Falcons send out ticketing plan to fans The China-based tour’s executive director says attempts to move the qualifying tournaments to other sites in Asia were not practical and restricted access into mainland China made it too difficult to stage tournaments in 2020.Greg Carlson says “staging a tour based in China with players from five different continents is just not feasible at this time.”The tour is owned by the PGA Tour and operates in partnership with the Chinese Golf Association. It started in 2014 and is open to all nationalities and attracts players mainly from Asia and the Pacific Rim.Players who earned membership following the 2019 season will maintain their PGA Tour Series-China status in 2021.___ More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports The governing body says it has not decided on return dates for the senior or wheelchair tours but neither will have tournaments take place before Aug. 31.The ITF also announced its COVID-19 protocols for its tournaments and players.That includes telling participants they shouldn’t travel to tournaments if they tested positive for the virus within seven days or were exposed to anyone with the virus or its symptoms within 14 days.___The PGA Tour Series-China season has been canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic. ___Boxing and mixed martial arts competition may resume in California after the state athletic commission approved new safety regulations for the coronavirus pandemic.The commission will require a “quarantine bubble” around participants in every event, including referees and judges. The events also must be held without fans.Golden Boy plans to stage a boxing show Friday night in Indio as the first event since the end of the combat sports suspension. Vergil Ortiz Jr. (15-0, 15 KOs) will defend his minor welterweight title against Samuel Vargas (31-5-2, 14 KOs) in the main event.___ Tulane was slated to play against Washington in the Pac-12 China Game in Shanghai.A Tulane spokesman says the decision to cancel the event was made in coordination with Washington as well as Chinese-based partners in the event, Alibaba and the Federation of University Sport of China.The decision to call off the game also comes amid rising diplomatic tensions between the two countries. The US State Department this week ordered China to close its consulate in Houston after the indictments of Chinese hackers who’ve allegedly sought to steal coronavirus vaccine research being done by institutions in Texas.China has condemned the order to close its Houston consulate and warned of a firm response.___last_img read more

Read More

Govt dismisses Amerindians land concerns as “greed”

first_img… sovereignty now belongs to the State, not the people – ScottThe Amerindians are greedy because they have requested security in the lands they have held since time immemorial, were the sentiments expressed by Minister within the Labour Department, Keith Scott in the National Assembly. Scott also philosophised that sovereignty now belongs to the State, governed by the coalition A Partnership for National Unity, Alliance For Change Government (APNU/AFC).These were some of the news that befell the nation this past week in response to the Peoples Progressive Party’s (PPP) motion to halt the Presidential Commission of Inquiry (COI) into the issues surrounding lands belonging to Amerindians and freed African slaves.Lands rowParliament sitting on Friday which eventually turned ruckus after the Speaker, Dr Barton Scotland walked outThe ‘lands row’ debate on Friday in the National Assembly descended into a ruckus that enveloped the hallowed Chambers of the National Assembly this past week, when legislators met to not only pay homage to fallen comrades, but push through critical legislation needed for the advancement of the Oil and Gas industry, as well as bringing some clarity to the vexed issue of land, land entitlements, and land disputes among Africans and Amerindians in Guyana.The almost sacrosanct hallowed Chambers of the Parliament of the Cooperative of Guyana was desecrated in a manner that will surely be a marked point in history, and the nation must now truly ponder on what “geriatric children” for the most part make up the 65 members of the National Assembly.The Director of Public Information, Imran Khan, has since confirmed that proverbial gloves are off, and it’s no more ‘Mister Nice Guys on the part of the government ministers and representatives.’According to Khan, “The Opposition is waging political warfare and quickly shifted into campaign mode…Being in the political contest, the onus is on us to respond appropriately (and not always nicely), and to defend the people of Guyana from this onslaught.”But what exactly obtained in the hallowed Chambers this past week?Amerindian rightsOn Friday, the political Opposition was free to press through its motion – a debate weeks in the making – calling for the immediate suspension of the Commission of Inquiry (CoI) that was established by Head of State, President David Granger.During the course of the debate, which began on Thursday and culminated on Friday evening, Government Speaker to the motion – specifically Minister Keith Scott – rose and told the National Assembly that Amerindians were avaricious in their request for more lands.He was peddling the same line as African Cultural Development Association (ACDA) and now Presidential Advisor, Eric Phillips, that Amerindians, while being the smaller population in Guyana, were looking to own 24 per cent of the country, including sub-surface rights.This position was vehemently argued against by the political opposition.Scott, in his presentation, also hinted at the fact that sovereignty does not belong to the people, but instead the State – a startling reminder of the party paramountcy philosophy that was the hallmark of the Forbes Burnham Government.The Government Minister did not make a mistake in his comments, as he supported his Government’s position by pointing to a possible invasion by perhaps the Venezuelans, and essentially said it was not the people that would have to defend themselves and territory, but rather it was the State.Opposition members quickly took umbrage to this position, pointing to the Supreme Law of Guyana, which says that sovereignty lies in the people of the country, and that the elected leaders are merely representatives of the people.CatalystNigel Dharamlall is the former Permanent Secretary in the then Ministry of Amerindian Affairs, now Indigenous Affairs. The PPP backbencher, in his arguments against the motion, and supporting his former Minister, Pauline Sukhai, sought to expand on the Terms of Reference (ToRs) secretly worked out by select members of the Granger Administration.This attempt, however, was shut down by the Speaker of the National Assembly, Dr Barton Scotland, leading to what can only be described as one of the most chaotic moments in the history of the Guyana Parliament – notwithstanding infamous ‘flour throwing’ when flour was banned – by the late Janet Jagan, and the cereal references by the late indomitable Deborah Backer in reference to the ever prevalent drug trade locally.IrrelevantDharamlall was told by the Speaker Dr Barton Scotland to cease his irrelevant references to the sugar industry, as he debated a motion related to lands.The PPP Member of Parliament insisted his line of questioning was not only relevant but cogent to his line of argument in the debate.The Speaker was having none of it however, and instructed Dharamlall to take his seat, since he was in contravention of the standing Orders relative to relevance of a presentation.Experienced Chief Whip Gail Teixeira, however, led the protest by the PPP members of Parliament in support of their colleague’s right to speak.By this time Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo joined the fray and immediately repudiated the Speaker, Dr Baton Scotland, saying that his partisan behaviour must come to an end.The Speaker decided, however, that it was best to abandon his post, since by this time the hallowed Chambers of the National Assembly had descended into a state worse that the ambience that permeates its environs on a normal day when vagrants adorn its exteriors.It was about 18:30hrs in the Friday evening of a session that had begun at 14:00hrs – a session that had been preceded by another round of drama the previous night.Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo instructed his MP to continue his presentation. The Speaker had vacated the seat, the Sergeant at Arms had already removed the Mace, it was just the members of the Assembly sitting in the House.RuckusIt was not a ruckus, it was a fish market debauchery that followed.“Disrespect! Disrespect! Disrespect! This is disrespect!” was the chant of the Government members as Opposition members egged their colleague into finishing his presentation.By the end of the night, few remembered that the President had in fact put the CoI on hold with respect to Amerindian land issues.Minister of State Joseph Harmon had earlier in the night assured no sinister motives in the CoI, but this did little to allay the fears of the Opposition.This, however, paled in comparison to the verbal onslaught that obtained the previous night, when Natural Resources Minister Raphael Trotman was allowed to unleash an unrestrained, vitriolic attack on the Opposition Leader over his concerns expressed in regard to the Petroleum Bill which was promulgated the previous night.Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo had attempted to bully the Opposition into submission, and not having a further say on the motion.He, at this point in time, exacted his powers as PM in order to have the last say, but this did not obtain, as the Speaker of the National Assembly allowed the Opposition Leader to make a contribution to the now historic debate.last_img read more

Read More