Asian Games: Governor, Chief Minister congratulate Hima Das

first_imgGUWAHATI: Assam Governor Prof. Jagdish Mukhi congratulated Hima Das on her remarkable performance at the Asian Games. He said that Hima has made Assam and the nation proud. He wished her the best for her future ahead.Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal congratulated athlete Hima for making the people of the country proud. The chief minister, through a statement, said that the Assamese youngster’s rare feat has delighted the countrymen and made them proud. Saying that Hima has elated the people of the country and the State with her achievements for the second time as she recently won the gold at the 400 meter final at the World U-20 Championships in Tampere, Finland. The chief minister stated that her success is more remarkable as she broke the national record for fastest timing on her way to winning the silver medal in 50.79 seconds. Also Read – President of FIH Narinder Dhruv Batra to visit Guwahati soon This is the result of the athlete’s great tenacity and her rigorous practice, he said. The chief minister also hoped that she will be able to sustain her stupendous success in future as well and give the people of the country a reason to feel proud by consistently bettering her performances.Hima’s remarkable feats at the world stage would inspire the youngsters of the State to excel in the sporting arena and give a fillip to the sports scenario of the state as a whole, Sonowal said.last_img read more

Read More

The Latest: Atlanta Falcons send out ticketing plan to fans

first_img July 22, 2020 The Atlanta Falcons have told season ticket holders that the team plans to have as many as 10,000 to 20,000 fans at home games this season.The Falcons said in Wednesday’s email the reduced capacity meets local requirements as well as the social distancing guidelines set by the NFL and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.Season ticket holders who are current on their payments will be asked to rank the first four home games they’d like to attend, if any.The team says plans could be affected by changes in the coronavirus pandemic. Barring changes, the team plans to send a second survey in October for the final four home games.All fans must wear face masks. Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Tulane says the COVID-19 pandemic has caused the cancellation of college basketball game scheduled in China this November. Basel is the third of the 10 Swiss clubs to have at least one player test positive since the league restarted last month.Basel will finish its season and then resume in the Europa League on Aug. 6. The club will then play in the Swiss Cup semifinals.___The International Tennis Federation plans to resume its lower-level World Tennis Tour the week of Aug. 17 and its junior and beach tennis tours two weeks later when the U.S. Open is scheduled to begin.All ITF tours have been suspended since March because of the coronavirus pandemic. Westbrook, who wore a mask as he spoke to the media despite being inside the NBA bubble, urged people not take the coronavirus lightly and to wear a mask.“I’m not a doctor nor a specialist, but I do know that it’s definitely something to take very seriously,” he said. “To understand that wearing a mask can be between life or death honestly … there are people dying from this virus each and every day and it’s something that we all need to take very, very seriously.”___Swiss soccer club Basel says one of its players has tested positive for the coronavirus but its league game against St. Gallen will go ahead.Basel says the unidentified player has been in isolation on the advice of public health officials. The rest of the squad tested negative and will not go into quarantine. ___Kansas City Royals outfielder Hunter Dozier has tested positive for COVID-19 and been placed on the injured list before the club played its final exhibition game against the Cardinals in St. Louis.The 28-year-old is coming off a breakthrough season in which he hit 26 homers with 84 RBIs and tying for the American League lead in triples. He is expected to play a big role for the Royals during their abbreviated 60-game season, which begins against the Indians on Friday night in Cleveland.Dozier said in a statement that he had been feeling “a couple of symptoms that go with the virus” and is now following the medical team’s direction by quarantining. He will need to test negative twice before returning to the club.The Royals still have catcher Cam Gallagher, first baseman Ryan O’Hearn, catching prospect Nick Dini and relief pitcher Daniel Tillo on the injured list with COVID-19. All-Star catcher Salvador Pérez, starters Brad Keller and Jakob Junis, and third baseman Matt Reynolds tested positive but have been cleared to return. ___Houston Rockets star Russell Westbrook is set to practice with the team for the first time since revealing that he tested positive for the coronavirus.Westbrook did not travel with the Rockets on July 9 when they flew to Florida for the NBA’s restart. The nine-time All-Star revealed on social media that he had tested positive for the virus on July 14 and he did not arrive in Florida until Monday.Westbrook had to quarantine upon his arrival at Disney but was cleared to join the Rockets for their practice on Wednesday.He said his only symptom was a stuffy nose and that he’s feeling great now and ready to get to work with the Rockets, who open the season July 31 against Dallas. Former Chelsea player Dan Petrescu has tested positive for the coronavirus and has been taken to the hospital.He will remain hospitalized for at least 48 hours.Petrescu currently coaches Romanian club CFR Cluj. Fourteen staff members and players at the club have tested positive in recent days. Three of those have since tested negative but will remain under observation.Clubs are considering suspending the Romanian league as the country registers a growing number of virus infections. There were 1,030 new cases in the last 24 hours. That is the highest amount since the pandemic reached Romania in February.Petrescu played at Chelsea for five years from 1995-2000. The Latest: Atlanta Falcons send out ticketing plan to fans The China-based tour’s executive director says attempts to move the qualifying tournaments to other sites in Asia were not practical and restricted access into mainland China made it too difficult to stage tournaments in 2020.Greg Carlson says “staging a tour based in China with players from five different continents is just not feasible at this time.”The tour is owned by the PGA Tour and operates in partnership with the Chinese Golf Association. It started in 2014 and is open to all nationalities and attracts players mainly from Asia and the Pacific Rim.Players who earned membership following the 2019 season will maintain their PGA Tour Series-China status in 2021.___ More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports The governing body says it has not decided on return dates for the senior or wheelchair tours but neither will have tournaments take place before Aug. 31.The ITF also announced its COVID-19 protocols for its tournaments and players.That includes telling participants they shouldn’t travel to tournaments if they tested positive for the virus within seven days or were exposed to anyone with the virus or its symptoms within 14 days.___The PGA Tour Series-China season has been canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic. ___Boxing and mixed martial arts competition may resume in California after the state athletic commission approved new safety regulations for the coronavirus pandemic.The commission will require a “quarantine bubble” around participants in every event, including referees and judges. The events also must be held without fans.Golden Boy plans to stage a boxing show Friday night in Indio as the first event since the end of the combat sports suspension. Vergil Ortiz Jr. (15-0, 15 KOs) will defend his minor welterweight title against Samuel Vargas (31-5-2, 14 KOs) in the main event.___ Tulane was slated to play against Washington in the Pac-12 China Game in Shanghai.A Tulane spokesman says the decision to cancel the event was made in coordination with Washington as well as Chinese-based partners in the event, Alibaba and the Federation of University Sport of China.The decision to call off the game also comes amid rising diplomatic tensions between the two countries. The US State Department this week ordered China to close its consulate in Houston after the indictments of Chinese hackers who’ve allegedly sought to steal coronavirus vaccine research being done by institutions in Texas.China has condemned the order to close its Houston consulate and warned of a firm response.___last_img read more

Read More

Lakers’ Kentavious Caldwell-Pope finds 3-point shot

first_imgIn his past 30 games, Caldwell-Pope is averaging 14.2 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game while shooting 46.1 percent from 3. The league’s leader in 3-point percentage over the entire season is Indiana’s Darren Collison at 44.8 percent.Thursday marked the third time in his career that Caldwell-Pope buried eight 3s, including on Feb. 24, when he shot 8-of-14 in a win at Sacramento.Caldwell-Pope is shooting a career-high 39.6 percent from 3, up from his career average of 34.6 percent. He shot 35 percent from 3 last season with Detroit and said he is better this year because he is able to get “more repetition.”Too much to RandleBefore Thursday’s game got away from the Lakers in the final minutes, Julius Randle put together a sequence that perfectly embodies his on-court identity.It started with 4:47 left in the first quarter, when Randle blocked veteran Emeka Okafor’s dunk attempt, corralled the rebound and began pushing the ball the other way. In the open court, he crossed over Ian Clark, then blew by Jrue Holiday. By the time Randle got to the rim, Pelicans’ forward Nikola Mirotic didn’t even bother to contest the shot, and Randle dunked the ball with two hands.All of those elements transpired in less than five seconds.It was an exciting play, in one easily shareable video clip.“It shows what I keep telling him,” Coach Luke Walton said. “’You can be one of the best players in this league.’ … What he’s already grown into as a player, he’s still very young, it’s very impressive and the sky is the limit for him.”Randle finished with 23 points and 10 rebounds.He will be a restricted free agent this summer, although the Lakers can match any offer another team makes. He said Walton has been telling him he can be among the league’s best players “all this year.” And while his do-it-all series of plays was a distant memory by the time the Lakers had blown an 11-point lead to lose their fourth consecutive game, Randle was grateful for the vote of confidence from Walton.“I always take everything Coach says with honor and try not to let him down,” he said. “With me, I guess it shows both parts of my game that I try to take pride in. Defensive end and being able to push it and make a play for myself or others down the court.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error MEMPHIS – In the heat check world of the NBA’s most potent 3-point shooters, nothing gets the mercury rising faster than seeing the first shot from deep slice through the net.“I mean, some nights I know,” Kentavious Caldwell-Pope said after making eight 3-pointers Thursday against New Orleans. “Some nights it’s just the flow of the game. I took my first two shots (and they) went in. I took the third, went in.”Caldwell-Pope’s first 3 went in 78 seconds into the Lakers 128-125 loss to the Pelicans. In less than two minutes, he made two more, on his way to a blistering 8-for-11 night from beyond the arc and a team-high 28 points.“I just took what the game gave me,” Caldwell-Pope said. “On their defensive breakdowns, I was open so I just let it fly.”center_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersHis big game came as Lonzo Ball endured an agonizing 1-for-12 night from 3-point range. According to basketball-reference.com, Ball became just the ninth player since 1983-84 to make just one 3-pointer on 12 or more attempts.Fortunately for the Lakers, Caldwell-Pope was there to balance things out, helping the Lakers shoot a 43.6 percent from 3 as a team.The veteran swingman in his fifth NBA season was signed for $18 million last summer on a one-year, make-good deal. It was seen at the time as a win-win, with the Lakers overpaying for the “3-and-D” wing player on a team-friendly contract.On the day he was introduced in L.A., General Manager Rob Pelinka likened landing the swingman to the “time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden bread came down from heaven.” For much of the season, Caldwell-Pope failed to meet the hefty expectations of both his contract and, inevitably, the biblical comparison.But since his release from a detention center in mid-January, a 25-day sentence imposed by a Michigan judge after Caldwell-Pope violated the terms of his probation, the 25-year-old has been among the Lakers’ most consistent players.last_img read more

Read More

Government to keep track of Venezuelans seeking refuge in Guyana

first_imgSeveral reports have surfaced in the media regarding the strain the recent influx of Venezuelans is causing the Region One Administration, and Citizenship Minister Winston Felix visited Mabaruma on Thursday and declared that Venezuelans who have entered Guyana through legal ports of entry or by illegal means need to be registered, so that Government can compile a record in this regard.He noted that Government is not intent on deporting the Venezuelans, because “we are very humane in our treatment of people arriving here in difficult circumstances.”During the process of being registered, migrants will have to provide basic information, such as their names, date of birth, and the names of persons who will be accommodating them. This information will be used to keep track of migrants inA makeshift shelter for Venezuelan migrants at Khan’s Hillthe event that they relocate to another part of the country.The Guyana Police Force (GPF) and the Public Health Ministry have been engaged in the registration process, and in ensuring that the necessary health checks and medication are administered to the migrants.The Citizenship Minister disclosed that while migrants are being accommodated by persons in the village, “the Government would like to take it a stage further than that.” He noted that migrants need to be “placed in conditions where they can enjoy a reasonable state of comfort.”It was announced that the team is “seeking to find a way to have Government control the inflow of Venezuelans, and the Minister announced, “We can settle them in a given area.”Minister Felix explained that Government would have a better control of the situation if the Venezuelan migrants are all placed in a designated area, as opposed to being scattered across the nation, and being accommodated by hospitable residents.last_img read more

Read More