P.7-M ‘Dinagyang shabu’ seized

The shabu was intended for disposalthis Dinagyang Festival, according to Police Lieutenant Jersey Besas, chief ofthe Police Regional Office 6’s Regional Drug Enforcement Unit (RDEU) thatbusted suspects Isagani Basbaño, 47, of Barangay San Lucas, Barotac Viejo,Iloilo and Sheila Mae Alvarez, 33, of Barangay Boulevard, Molo, Iloilo City. Besas said it took his men over a weekof planning to get the suspects to agree to a drug transaction – sell P35,000worth of shabu. ILOILO City – Methamphetaminehydrochloride (shabu) worth P765,000 was seized from two drug suspects in Purok5, Barangay San Vicente, Leganes, Iloilo yesterday. “Imagine kung hindi natin sila nakuha andhindi na-recover ang shabu na para talaga sa Dinagyang, marami pa ang mabibiktima,” said Besas. He believed the confiscated shabu wasfrom the national penitentiary in Muntinlupa City, Metro Manila. Basbaño and Alvarez were taken to theLeganes police station after their arrest. For drug traffickers, the DinagyangFestival is a lucrative event. A few days before last year’s festival, nearly amillion pesos worth of shabu was seized from a couple from Cebu. The Dinagyang Festival highlight is onSunday, Jan. 26 – the crowd-drawing atitribes competition. But a lot of events are scheduled in the days leading tothe highlight and these also attract huge crowds that may include drug users. “It was difficult. They onlyentertained persons known to them. But our asset eventually managed to gettheir confidence,” said Besas. Leganes is 10 kilometers north ofIloilo City. The buy-bust was carried out at around12:10 a.m. at a construction site in Purok 5, Barangay San Vicente, Leganes. The man and woman were caught inBarangay Rizal Estanzuela, City Proper. They entered Iloilo via a roll on, rolloff ship from Cebu. According to the RDEU, the confiscatedshabu was intended for the Dinagyang, citing text messages found in thesuspects’ mobile phones./PN read more

Read More

England goalkeeper on way to Torino

first_imgThe 29 year old was not part of new City manager Pep Guardiola’s plans.Wilfried Bony is among those who could be making a move.It’s thought the Manchester City striker is in talks with Stoke. While Tottenham are believed to have made a bid of 30-million pounds for Newcastle’s Moussa Sissoko.last_img

Read More

Lakers’ Luol Deng understands being placed on inactive list

first_imgEL SEGUNDO >> The move marked the latest sign on how Lakers coach Luke Walton has accelerated his shift toward developing his young players. It also marked the latest sign of the Lakers’ stock plummeting on reserve forward Luol Deng, whose four-year, $72 million deal has yielded only a 7.6 points per game average on a career-low 38.6 percent shooting in his 13th NBA season.Walton put Deng on the inactive list during the Lakers’ 115-95 loss to the Boston Celtics on Friday at Staples Center for a simple reason. As Walton put it, “We’re trying to get looks at all the young guys that we can.”“I totally understand what we’re doing,” Deng told Southern California News Group. “He wants the guys to be in situations where they learn and play minutes. It’s always about what we’re trying to do. Why am I going to be on the bench if I’m not playing?”Deng originally lost his starting spot on Feb. 6 against New York in favor of rookie forward Brandon Ingram. After averaging 4.1 points on 27.8 percent shooting in 21.3 minutes in seven games off the bench, Deng sat out Tuesday’s game against Charlotte because of a coach’s decision. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersWalton cited the need to play Ingram, third-year guard Jordan Clarkson, newly acquired guard Tyler Ennis (from Houston) and newly acquired guard/forward David Nwaba (signed to 10-day contract). It is not clear what Deng’s status will be when the Lakers (19-43) host the New Orleans Pelicans (24-38) on Sunday at Staples Center, or if either Walton or Deng would be open toward him playing on even more reduced minutes. “He wants to play the young guys, so I’m not going to play,” Deng said. “So there’s no point of being on the active roster and sit on the bench. He’s got to keep all the guys he’s going to play and evaluate.” Different viewpointsThe words sounded puzzling, both for the substance and in how Lakers second-year guard D’Angelo Russell delivered them. Of all the factors that led to the Lakers’ double-digit loss on Friday to the Boston Celtics, Russell refused to chalk it up to the team’s youth. Instead, he cited something indicting for any professional sports team. “I feel like we stopped playing,” Russell said, “stopped competing.”center_img Walton and his players have occasionally lamented the team’s effort this season. But not against the Lakers’ heated rival. “I don’t agree with that,” Walton said of Russell’s assessment. “I thought our team did show up to play. I think Boston is a very good team and was executing and making their shots. When we hit adversity, that’s when we crumbled.”Walton pulled his starters three minutes into the second half after becoming frustrated with the team’s stagnant offense. Later, the Lakers’ reserves helped chip away a 31-point deficit down to 15 entering the fourth quarter. While the Lakers have occasionally lamented their effort this season, they frequently admit they have struggled with handling adversity. “When people go on runs, we can’t put our head down and start losing our minds and try to do it on our own,” said Clarkson, who scored all of his 20 points in the second half. “We have to come together and push through that. This league and these games, it’ll go up and down. You have to fight through those runs. That’s how you build yourself up.” last_img read more

Read More

Wellington school board, Belle Plaine City Council primary to be held Tuesday

first_img Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comment (1) Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings Sort by: Date Rating Last Activity Loading comments… You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. +3 Vote up Vote down Home Town Boy · 284 weeks ago Just curious Cue how will House Bill 2345 if passed, effect USD 353 School Board? I think it is more than needed., Report Reply 0 replies · active 284 weeks ago Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments By Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow — There will be two primary elections in Sumner County this Tuesday for local races. There will be a primary for the USD 353 school board candidates at large, in which all of those in the Wellington school district will be eligible to vote.The candidates for the this primary will be Jackie Glasgow, Carley Moberg, Janette Moser and Fatema Yunker. The top two candidates will then advance to the general election in April.Qualified voters will vote at the Raymond Frye Complex, except those who reside in Osborne, Sumner and Downs Townships.  They would vote at the Mayfield Grocery Store Annex.There is also a primary in the City of Belle Plaine for City Council.  Qualified voters living in the City of Belle Plaine, will vote at the Community Building located at 528 N. Merchant.Those candidates will be: Richard Penn, T. Bub Rothgeb, Richard Penn, Joel Rouse, Lonnie Patrick, Monica Barton, Robert Narron, Richard Lowry, Dennis McGinnis and Jamie Crelly.The polls are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on March 3.Sumner Newscow will be featuring a candidates forum on the Wellington school board primary candidates this weekend.Follow us on Twitter.last_img read more

Read More