U.S. Forces to Stay Near Haiti Through Hurricane Season

first_imgBy Dialogo May 04, 2010 The American military’s role in Haiti will decrease substantially after May, but the United States will maintain a scaled-down presence in the area through hurricane season, a top military commander said. Some 500 soldiers will begin a five-month exercise in Haiti starting in June, and the USS Iwo Jima will be available to provide aid should disaster again strike the island nation, Air Force Gen. Douglas Fraser told reporters. About 1,000 U.S. troops will operate in and around Haiti through May, after which some 500 soldiers with the Louisiana National Guard will deploy to Haiti for an exercise focused on helping to rebuild a country recovering from the devastating earthquake that struck in January. Haiti has been the focus of expansive international relief efforts in the wake of what is considered one of the greatest humanitarian emergencies in the history of the Americas. A crippling Jan. 12 earthquake killed an estimated 250,000 people and displaced more than a million inhabitants. At the height of the U.S. military effort there, some 22,000 forces were deployed in or around Haiti, including 7,000 land-based troops, with the remainder operating aboard 58 aircraft and 15 nearby vessels. Fraser said this response represented an ad hoc effort, not the result of contingency planning crafted before the earthquake — the first to strike Haiti since 1860. “We did not have a plan on [the] shelf,” he said. But from June through November — regarded as the Atlantic hurricane season — the USS Iwo Jima, a large-deck amphibious ship, will provide medical support at locales around the Caribbean – venturing no farther than a two-day sail from Haiti. “We’ve started that practice of having a large ship in the region to be able to respond to a concern in hurricane season during that time period,” Fraser said, “allowing us to be able to respond accordingly.” As the number of U.S. forces in Haiti reduces in June, Southcom will transition to a more “traditional role” in its support to Haiti, Fraser said. The Louisiana National Guard exercise, known as “New Horizons,” will entail a $2 million series of projects to construct or rebuild Haitian schools and other infrastructure and to help Haitians prepare for possible future natural disasters, officials said.last_img read more

Read More

Police officers performance in 2011 satisfactory

first_img Share Share Sharing is caring! 24 Views   no discussions Tweetcenter_img LocalNews Police officers performance in 2011 satisfactory by: – December 28, 2011 Share Police Chief Cyril Carette. Police Chief Cyril Carrette has described the performance of police officers within the rank of the Dominica Police Force as “satisfactory” for 2011.The Chief who addressed a press briefing last week noted the public’s cooperation in assisting them to solve crimes. “I would say that they have performed creditably, I know that the police are working diligently to ensure that all reported crimes are solved and we have been getting a reasonable level of cooperation from the public. I know that they have performed satisfactorily but I would not grade them. When you give people A and A+ and those things it leaves little room for improvement but I believe that there is always room for improvement.” According to Mr Carette, his officers have made “major breakthroughs” in the drug trade and solving of murder crimes.“We’ve got five murders and all those murders have been solved, we’ve had persons charged for those murders. What I can tell you again is we have disrupted major drug trafficking operations in Dominica so we know that there were significant losses by those persons who are trafficking drugs in and around Dominica. The Customs has seized quite a bit of money, different currencies based on the collaboration with the Customs and the police.”The Chief also credited police officers for putting a “dent” in the “Gold for cash” program which contributed to several incidents of theft.“We also ensured that there was a reduction in the “Gold for cash” program going around Dominica and we decided to put a hold on this “Gold for cash” and we have seen a significant reduction in Venezuelans coming around Dominica to buy gold from persons and you would as I would know that most of the gold they bought from persons were stolen property and most persons could not identify the property because they were so seriously damaged but we have put a dent in them preventing them from doing that type of activity in Dominica.”Although the police reportedly made major breakthroughs in 2011, there are two investigations which are “still ongoing” from 2010. Omara Smalls AKA Mwanga Freeman was fatally shot on 15th September, 2011 on High Street and an early Christmas morning fire caused severe damage to the residence of former magistrate G.O.N Emanuel have not yet been solved and are still under investigations. In related news, Mr. Carette also reported that the department’s goal for 2012 will be to build upon human capacity to deal with cyber crimes and protecting the country’s borders.“In 2012, what we want to do is build our human capacity. We are going to be delving more into cyber crimes because as you would know cyber crime is becoming a major problem worldwide now and I would expect the legislators to ensure that they put proper legislation in place to support law enforcement efforts. We are also going to improve our Border Management Control system because you know that we have machine-readable passports which can be read in other countries and not here. So we are going to ensure that we take measures to have the Border Management Control system be put in place to ensure that we protect our borders,” he said.Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more

Read More

José Mourinho names his all time XI among players he’s coached – and Manchester…

first_imgImage Courtesy: AP/GettyAdvertisement 4qNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs73gnWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E6xukmw( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 264uWould you ever consider trying this?😱af7Can your students do this? 🌚hhRoller skating! Powered by Firework Starting from his home country Portugal, José Mourinho has landed managerial jobs in some of the most elite names in European football in his coaching career. Now settled in England, the Tottenham Hotspur gaffer has recently named his all time ‘Dream XI’ team, consisting of the best players he has coached across Europe, the includes iconic names from Chelsea, Inter Milan and Real Madrid. But, which other club has the ‘Chosen One’ chosen to leave out? Manchester United! No Red Devil legend was named in his dream squad!Advertisement Image Courtesy: AP/GettyIn a recent interview with Spanish sports outlet Marca, José was asked to pick his best XI squad, from the teams he managed. The Spurs coach had the likes of Frank Lampard, Javier Zanetti and Cristiano Ronaldo- the three iconic footballers that set the stage during his time in EPL, Serie A and La Liga. However, surprisingly, José didn’t name anyone during the time he spend at Old Trafford.Due to his two spells with Chelsea, José’s team dominates players from the Premier League elites. The 57 year old opted for former Blues star Petr Cech as his goalkeeper. The Czech legend’s teammates of Stamford Bridge- John Terry, Ricardo Carvalho and William Gallas were picked alongside Inter’s hall of fame Javier Zanetti as the back four.Advertisement Lampard’s squad mate Claude Makélélé and Eden Hazard comprised the midfield. The attacking trio were named to be Chelsea’s hall of fame Didier Drogba, along with former Real Madrid attackers Cristiano Ronaldo and Mesut Özil.What surprised the United fans was that one of their most revered managers didn’t name any players from the club during his 2 year tenure with the Devils, despite having the likes of David de Gea Paul Pogba, Romelu Lukaku or even Zlatan Ibrahimović.Advertisement Now without fixtures as the EPL, along with any outfield training is suspended due to the novel Coronavirus pandemic, the club has announced that the Tottenham squad will undergo live video training sessions.José was recently seen helping out charitable foundations in England to deliver essential commodities to the elderly, who are unalbe to go out as the country is observing a lock down amidst the virus outbreak.Also read-Tentative date for Tokyo Olympics revealedTowel Kobe Bryant used in final match auctioned for around Rs. 24,85,700! Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More

Mallard’s Team of the Week — Nelson U16 Selects

first_imgNot much rust on those boots.The Nelson Youth Soccer U16 Girls came out of the starting gates a blazing to capture the gold medal at the Kelowna Icebreaker Tournament over the Easter weekend.The Selects finished the tournament with a 4-0 round-robin record, out scoring the opponents 12-0 during the round robin before knocking off Vernon United 2-1 in the Championship Final. Staff at Mallard’s Source for sports would like to add to the Championship Weekend with Team of the Week honours.Members of the team include, Bella Guderyan, Anna Milde, Julia Burkart, Emily Taylor, Jodi Surina, Mimi Lockhurst, Lucy Fox, Ali D’Odorico, Ashley Hall, Sophia Arcuri, Hanna Quinn, Allison Bendis and Shianne Michalchuk. Coach of the team is Paul Burkart.last_img read more

Read More

Bombers ready to challenge elite at 2016 BC High School AA Girl’s Soccer Championships

first_imgLVR then plays Ladysmith later in the day before concluding the round robin pool play Friday against Seycove of North Vancouver.The winners of the four divisions then advance into the final four Friday afternoon with the semi final winners meeting to determine the Provincial Champ Saturday at 1 p.m.The Bombers are attempting to follow the lead of the LVR Rugby squad, which won the 2016 BC High School Boy’s AA Tier II Rugby Championship with a thrilling 13-12 victory over Fraser Valley power Robert Bateman Timberwolves Saturday at Rotary Park in Abbotsford.The 2016 BC High School AA Girl’s Soccer Championships is hosted by Carihi of Campbell River. The Kootenay Champion L.V. Rogers Bombers look to make some noise as the Heritage City team opens play Thursday at the 2016 BC High School AA Girl’s Soccer Championships in Campbell River.The Bombers, which easily disposed of J. Lloyd Crowe and David Thompson of Invermere at the recent Kootenay High School AA Girl’s Soccer Championships in Creston, begin divisional action at the 16-team tournament against Burnsview of Delta Thursday at 11 a.m.last_img read more

Read More