Vince Carter says he’ll play one more NBA season

first_img Vince Carter, 42, says he’ll return for 22nd NBA season He went on to win the Dunk Contest in 2000 running away with the competition with his infamous “Cookie Jar” slam and another 360 [email protected] Vince Carter most definitely didn’t wear the all purple at the Dunk Contest in Oakland. @jeskeets @LeighEllis @TasMelas @StartersJD @StartersMatt pic.twitter.com/a4Qbr1QJHx— Jamison Schoen (@The_Jam_Is_0n) May 31, 2019Carter will finish his NBA career in the top 20 all time in scoring and field goals made. This is it for Vince Carter.The 2019-20 season will be the final one for the eight-time All-Star, he announced on ESPN’s “The Jump” on Wednesday. “What you gonna do?” Stephen Jackson asked Carter. “You got one more run?””I got one more in me,” Carter said. “One more run in me.” Related News Vince Carter just announced on The Jump that this upcoming year will be his final year playing in the NBA pic.twitter.com/XFQGFJ14WK— Chris Montano (@gswchris) June 5, 2019Carter, 42, has played 21 NBA seasons with eight NBA teams.He spent time with the Raptors, Nets, Mavericks, Grizzlies, Magic, Hawks, Kings and Suns.He is currently an unrestricted free agent.”I’ve got one (left),” he said. “Last one.”Carter was the 1998-99 Rookie of the Year and a member of the All-Rookie Team.He has averaged 17.2 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.2 assists in his career.But, as good as his scoring and entire game was, he’ll always be remembered for his athleticism, which allowed him to jump over anything in his path.Even a 7-2 center.Everyone but Frédéric Weis wish Vince Carter a happy 41st birthday 🙌 pic.twitter.com/Co5KiYTBBp— Dime (@DimeUPROXX) January 26, 2018Carter’s dunk over Frederic Weis in the 2000 Summer Olympics became an iconic moment in his career and was dubbed by French media “le dunk de la mort,” translated as “the dunk of death.”Carter was taken No. 5 overall by the Warriors in the 1998 NBA Draft after earning a place as a second-team All-American with North Carolina.last_img read more

Read More

Pineapple plant to boost exports

first_img10 June 2003Deputy Trade and Industry Minister Lindiwe Hendricks last week opened a R7-million pineapple processing plant in East London.Collondale Cannery is one of only two pineapple processing factories in South Africa, and has installed a plant with a new evaporator specifically imported for processing pineapple juice concentrate.South Africa accounts for six percent of the world’s pineapple production. The world market is dominated by Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines and Kenya.South African pineapples are traditionally less sweet and more acidic than those of its competitors. However, a blend between South African pineapple concentrate and that of the country’s competitors results in a sweeter product, but with the distinctive pineapple taste unique to the South African product.The new plant illustrates the value of investment in production capacity for export sales and job creation. The new Collondale plant incorporates the latest technology that will enable the company to up its production of pineapple juice concentrate by 50 percent. All of this will be exported, generating sales of R7-million per annum.As a result, the company can now run a full seven production lines from its factory and employ 55 additional people.The Eastern Cape benefits from the growing and processing of pineapples in the region because it is a labour-intensive venture. Collondale currently employs 297 people.Source: Department of Trade and Industrylast_img read more

Read More

Motsepe to head BRICS Business Council

first_img27 March 2013 South African businessman Patrice Motsepe was named chairman of the newly formed BRICS Business Council at the fifth BRICS summit in Durban on Tuesday. “A key measure to further increase intra-BRICS trade and investment is the establishment of the BRICS Business Council which we are launching at today’s session,” President Jacob Zuma told delegates gathered at the city’s International Convention Centre. “The Council will serve as a platform to strengthen and promote economic, trade, business and investment ties between the business communities of the five BRICS countries.” The aim of the council will be to provide technical support and advice, and facilitate the implementation of multi-lateral business projects among its five members, Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. This will help promote the growth of the BRICS countries, and to challenge the dominance of developed countries. The council will facilitate co-operation between the five countries in manufacturing, financial services, skills development, small and medium enterprises, and developing green-friendly economies. It will also aim to promote trade and industry among the countries. One of its first tasks will be to establish sector working groups, to improve communication among business leaders. The BRICS countries have each nominated five business leaders to make up the council. The four other South Africans who will serve on the body are Business Unity SA CEO Nomaxabiso Majokweni, Zungu Investment Company executive chairman Sandile Zungu, Sekunjalo Investments CEO Iqbal Surve, and Transnet CEO Brian Molefe. The Black Management Forum (BMF) has welcomed Motsepe’s appointment, reports Sowetan. BMF MD Nicholas Maweni told the newspaper: “The council will give us an opportunity to have a business body that will highlight economic opportunities and issues facing each country. Each member country will provide market access to its BRICS partners.”Benefits for South Africa South Africa, which joined BRICS in 2010, has already seen benefits coming out of its membership of the group, with a reduction in its trade deficit with its BRICS partners. In 2012, South Africa’s total trade with its BRICS partners stood at R294-billion, an increase of 11% on the 2011 figure of R264-billion. Trade with Brazil grew to R20-billion in 2012, up from R18-billion in 2011. Trade with Russia grew 45% from 2012 to 2011, from R3-billion to R5-billion. And trade with India, South Africa’s sixth largest trading partner, grew to R67-billion in 2012, from R53-billion in 2011, a jump of 26%. China is South Africa’s largest bilateral trading partner, with trade growing to R201-billion in 2012, up from R188.42-billion in 2011, growth of 7%. “A number of important agreements will also be signed by ministers in the fields of arts and culture, agriculture, defence, education, energy, science and technology, transport and other legal frameworks,” Zuma said. A Declaration of Strategic Partnership was signed with Russia on Tuesday, while several agreements were signed with China. Progress has also been made on plans to establish a BRICS Development Bank, to cater specifically for the needs of the bloc, in particular reducing their dependence on the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund (IMF). Patrice Motsepe Mining magnate Patrice Motsepe is worth is R2.9-billion, Forbes reported in March. Fifty-one-year-old Motsepe was born in Soweto, and studied law. He joined the Bowman Gilfillan law firm in Johannesburg but soon branched out to become a businessman. He bought down-scale gold mine shafts in 1994, turning them around through prudent management. He called the company Future Mining. In 1997 he established African Rainbow Minerals (ARM), which listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange in 2002. ARM merged with mining giant Harmony in 2003, and then took over Anglovaal Mining. It has interests in platinum, nickel, chrome, iron, manganese, coal, copper and gold. He is executive chairman of ARM. Motsepe benefited from black economic empowerment deals in that companies were obliged to have a 29% black ownership, starting in late 2007. They helped him expand his mining company into a large mining group so that, when the global commodities market grew in 2005, he was able to take advantage of this demand. In 2002 he was voted South Africa’s Business Leader of the Year by the CEOs of the country’s top 100 companies. In that year too he was the winner of the Ernst & Young Best Entrepreneur of the Year award. Positions he holds include executive chairman of Harmony Gold Mining Company, chair of Naledi Mining, and deputy chairman of insurance giant Sanlam. He is also the owner of Premier Soccer League club Mamelodi Sundowns. In January, Motsepe pledged to give half the income generated by his family assets to charity – becoming the first person outside the US to take the Giving Pledge started by Microsoft founder Bill Gates and billionaire Warren Buffett.last_img read more

Read More

Sprinter Hima Das secures first division in Assam class XII exam

first_imgSprinter Hima Das, secured first division in the Arts and Humanities stream of the exams conducted by the Assam Higher Secondary Education Council. She secured a total of 349 marks out of 500 with letter marks (80 or above) in Assamese language. The 19-year-old had appeared for the Class XII exam in February after a year’s gap, coming straight from her athletics training in Turkey. She gave her exam at the Dhing College in her hometown Dhing, about 120 km from Guwahati.She chose to shuttle between the exam centre and the Sports Authority of India (SAI) hostel in Guwahati, instead of staying at home, to train whenever she managed time off from studies.”We are happy with her academic performance. It is now time for her to give her best on the athletic track, which she was destined to pursue,” said her father, Ranjit Das.Hima’s academic feat followed a disappointment at the 23rd Asian Athletics Championship at Doha where she crashed out due to an injury.A total of 2,42,843 candidates had appeared for the Class XII exams this year – 1,86,187 in Arts, 37,455 in Science and 18,291 in Commerce stream. The results for the 2019 exams announced on Saturday showed a pass percentage of 75.14%, 87.59% and 86.59% in Arts, Commerce and Science streams respectively.last_img read more

Read More

Surat’s diamond industry loses glitter as slowdown deepens

first_imgAs the economic slowdown is deepening across sectors, India’s diamond hub in Surat is facing its worst crisis since 2008. The industry has seen more than 15,000 people being laid off in the past few weeks as the labour intensive sector is losing sheen owing to multiple factors, including the escalating trade war between China and the U.S., liquidity crisis at home and issues related to the Goods and Services Tax.Since December 2018, almost one lakh people, mostly workers working in the sector that includes factories engaged in cutting and polishing rough diamonds, have lost their jobs, making it the worst crisis since the global slowdown in 2008.Also Read Slowdown cripples markets, festive season fails to bring cheer  It may be noted that India is the world’s largest cutting and polishing centre of rough diamonds, processing as many as 14 out of every 15 rough diamonds in the world. And more than 95 % of diamonds are cut and polished in several thousands factories in Surat and other towns of Gujarat.In Surat alone, as many as seven lakh people are employed in more than 3,000 small and medium factories in the south Gujarat city.On Tuesday, Surat’s leading diamond group, Godhani Gems, laid off 550 workers as slowdown is becoming entrenched, making the business unviable.“Yes, workers are being laid off due to multiple factors as the economic slowdown has severely hit the business,” said Dinesh Navadia, former chief of Surat Diamond Association and currently chairman of Gems and Jewellery Export Promotion Council (Gujarat region).“We can’t deny about the lay-off incidents. But we are trying to convince the unit owners to retain their staff and distribute work among them to at least provide some work to everyone. We can’t help if the unit owners fail to strike a balance,” said Babu Gujarati, president of Surat Diamond Association.Meeting with Nirmala SitharamanOn Wednesday, Mr. Navadia and other representatives met Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman to discuss their issues including accumulation of GST, lowering of taxes and lending by banks.Among the main factors hitting the sector includes unabated price rise in rough diamonds, even as polished diamond prices stopped moving up because of dip in overseas demand affected by escalating trade war between two main markets: China and the U.S.According to the market insiders, the top five global diamond mining players have been jacking up the prices without responding to the price trend of polished diamonds. On the other side, prices of polished diamonds have dropped 6-10% in the past four months due to weak demand, which is unlikely to see revival in near future.Mr. Navadia said that U.S.-China trade war, and devaluation of Yuan has further fuelled the crisis in recent weeks. Another prominent factor is the government measure such as hiking the custom duty on gold imports that has proved costly for the industry.According to the GAJEPC figures, exports of cut-and-polished diamond dropped 18.15% in July and 15.11% for the first four months of fiscal 2020, compared with a year earlier. Overall, gem and jewellery exports fell 6.67% during April-July period.last_img read more

Read More

Spotted Haifa Port Welcomes Its Largest Boxship to Date

first_imgImage Courtesy: Port of HaifaIn today’s spotted, we bring you an image of Maersk Elba, the largest containership to visit Israel’s Port of Haifa. The Neopanamax boxship docked at the port’s Carmel Terminal in the morning hours of February 2, 2017.The 13,092 dwt Maersk Elba features a length of 366 meters and a width of 48.2 meters.Built by South Korean shipbuilder Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) in 2011, the vessel is owned by German-based shipping company Rickmers Reederei KG, VesselsValue’s data shows.The Marshall Islands-flagged Maersk Elba is deployed in the service operated by 2M, an alliance between two container carriers including Maersk Line and Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC).Back in 2015, Maersk Line and MSC entered into a cooperation agreement with the Port of Haifa, bringing their ships to the port.last_img read more

Read More

Ignazio Abate rues AC Milans Europa League exit

first_imgAC Milan defender Ignazio Abate believes they should have qualified for the Europa League knockout stages after their 3-1 defeat to OlympiacosGennaro Gattuso’s side headed into Athens on Thursday night needing to not lose by more than two goals to Olympiacos.After a goalless first-half, Pape Abou Cisse’s header handed Olympiacos the lead before a Cristian Zapata own goal doubled their advantage.But the Colombian defender soon redeemed himself to Milan by scoring a critical header just 110 seconds later.However, Abate’s foul enabled Konstantinos Fortounis to score a late penalty for Olympiacos to secure a 3-1 win.Maurizio Sarri, JuventusMaurizio Sarri satisfied despite Juventus’ draw at Fiorentina Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Maurizio Sarri was satisfied with Juventus’ performance on Saturday afternoon after finishing a tough game at Fiorentina 0-0.The result enabled the Greek side to leapfrog Milan into second-place in Group F on goal difference.“We had started strong and were well set out on the field. The regret is that we went behind, as we should not have conceded the opening goal,” Abate told Sky Sport Italia, via Football-Italia.“Once we got it back on track, they got that penalty. Incidents went against us. We could’ve done better and more importantly reached this final game with qualification already secured, because we had the quality to do that.“We need to take another step up. Now we must concentrate on Serie A, as we can finish in the top four and qualify for the Champions League.”Milan will next travel to Bologna on Tuesday in a Serie A match, where they will hope to retain their spot in the top-four in the standings.last_img read more

Read More