First Responders Receive Grants for Safety Equipment

first_imgVolunteer first responder organizations will be able to purchase necessary safety equipment with help from the Emergency Services Provider Fund. Municipal Affairs Minister Chuck Porter announced more than $900,000 in grants for 60 organizations throughout the province. “These organizations are supported by volunteers, who put in countless hours training for and responding to emergencies,” said Mr. Porter. “The Emergency Services Provider Fund enhances the safety of those who give so selflessly to protect our communities.” The announcement was made at the North River and District Fire Brigade in North River, Colchester Co. which was awarded $20,000 this year to purchase personal protective equipment and self-contained breathing apparatus. “We are extremely pleased to receive the Emergency Services Provider funding towards fourteen new breathing apparatus,” said captain Evan Hansen of the North River and District Fire Brigade. “Our firefighters are essential to the safety and well-being of our communities. “We owe it to all our volunteers to provide them with the best training and equipment, so we can do our jobs more effectively and safely. This grant is enabling us to do just that.” The Emergency Services Provider Fund offers financial assistance to volunteer fire departments and ground search and rescue organizations, including HAZMAT organizations, to upgrade equipment that is used directly in response to a fire or emergency. Eligible organizations can apply for up to 75 per cent of new safety equipment costs, to a maximum of $20,000. For a complete list of 2018-19 grants, visit https://novascotia.ca/dma/funding/community/emergency-services-provider-fund.asp .last_img read more

Read More

Saskatchewan government deeply concerned over delay in Keystone decision

AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email REGINA – Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall says the latest delay in a decision on the proposed Keystone XL pipeline is a major blow to Canada’s energy industry.The U.S. State Department announced last week that it wants to give federal agencies more time to review the $5.4-billion proposal by Calgary-based TransCanada (TSX:TRP).TransCanada had hoped a legal dispute over the pipeline’s route in Nebraska would not further hold up a decision at the federal level.Wall says he is deeply concerned and calls the delay a major disappointment.He points out the pipeline has already passed the State Department’s own environmental impact assessment.The 2,700-kilometre line would move bitumen from Alberta’s oilsands to refineries on the Gulf Coast of Texas.“The Keystone XL pipeline has been studied long and hard,” Wall said in a release Monday. “The pipeline will create thousands of jobs on both sides of the border, offers a safe and efficient method of moving large volumes of oil, and, according to the State Department, will not contribute to a net increase in greenhouse gas emissions.“This delay represents a major blow to the energy industry in Saskatchewan and in Canada and will place unnecessary strain on relations with our largest trading partner.”A portion of the Keystone pipeline would run through Saskatchewan.Wall said approval of the Keystone project is critical to the successful transport of other commodities in his province.“Saskatchewan grain, potash, and other commodities suffer every day the Keystone XL pipeline is not being built,” Wall said. “The United States needs to quit wavering and make a decision based on the facts, which support the construction of Keystone.“These politically motivated decisions are hurting the Saskatchewan economy, the U.S. economy and our ability to develop new markets and support North America energy sustainability.” by The Canadian Press Posted Apr 21, 2014 4:45 pm MDT Saskatchewan government ‘deeply concerned’ over delay in Keystone decision read more

Read More